You’ve probably noticed that your skin always looks better after spending a day by the sea, but have you ever wondered why this is? Turns out, seawater can really work magic on a person’s complexion, and this is all thanks to the sea salt contained within it.
- What’s the Difference Between Sea Salt and Ordinary Salt?
- The Skin Benefits of Sea Salt
- How to Add Sea Salt to Your Beauty Routine
- Are There Any Side Effects?
What’s the Difference Between Sea Salt and Ordinary Salt?
The main difference between sea salt and regular table salt is their mineral content.
Sea salt is packed with a number of minerals that are crucial for maintaining skin health, which is exactly why it’s such a popular skincare ingredient.
The Skin Benefits of Sea Salt
Whether you’re looking to treat a specific skin condition or you simply want to boost your skin’s health, sea salt can help.
Here are the benefits of using sea salt for skin:
Balances Skin and Calms Breakouts
There are certain minerals out there that are extremely effective at clearing the skin of acne-causing bacteria, with magnesium, calcium, and potassium being at the top of the list.
Sea salt is a natural antiseptic, which is exactly what you want when dealing with bacteria.
In addition to treating existing pimples, sea salt can also prevent future breakouts in a couple of ways. For starters, sea salt has anti-inflammatory properties, enabling it to reduce the inflammation that would have otherwise led to pimples.
It also absorbs excess oil on the skin, preventing clogged pores.
Exfoliates Dead Skin Cells
Sea salt has a naturally grainy texture, meaning that it can gently exfoliate the skin. It will remove existing flakes of dryness while penetrating into the skin’s pores deeply and thoroughly, clearing away dirt and sebum.
Regularly exfoliating with sea salt will also boost skin cell turnover, stimulating your skin into producing fresh new skin cells at a faster rate.
Restores the Skin’s Natural pH Balance
From pollution to cosmetic products, there are so many factors out there that disrupt the skin’s pH level. This then leads to a whole host of issues, from redness and acne to dryness and itching.
While there are several pH-balancing skincare products out there to choose from, you could save yourself some money by using sea salt instead. It’ll help to restore your skin’s natural pH levels, bringing balance back to your complexion.
Reduces Fungal Growth to Prevent Skin Infections
Sea salt is famed for its antifungal properties . This enables it to prevent fungal growth in the skin, saving the skin from conditions such as athlete’s foot and yeast infections.
Boosts Blood Circulation
There are certain minerals out there, such as magnesium, calcium, and iron, that are fantastic for boosting blood circulation. And yes, you guessed it – all three are present in sea salt.
Improving circulation can transform your skin. Your blood delivers oxygen and nutrients to your skin cells, while also removing waste, all of which happens to greater effect when blood flow speeds up.
As a result, skin cells are able to function much more efficiently, giving you gorgeous skin with a radiant glow.
How to Add Sea Salt to Your Beauty Routine
Here are a few ways to enhance your usual skin care routine with the use of sea salt:
- Salt Bath – sea salt water is great for hydrating dry skin. Add one third cup of sea salt to a tub filled with warm water. Mix well so that the salt dissolves, and then soak in this for 15 minutes to soften skin.
- Salt Scrub – For a softening body scrub, salt is a great ingredient to use – it’ll target any dead skin. Mix a quarter cup salt with a few drops of lavender oil and half cup olive oil or coconut oil to form a thick paste. Use wet fingers to rub this into your skin before rinsing off.
- Face Mask – This is a DIY mask that will nourish and soothe skin. Mix two teaspoons sea salt (preferably finely ground) with three teaspoons raw honey, until you have a spreadable paste. Apply this to your skin and wait for 15 minutes. Then, soak a washcloth in very warm water. Gently wring and then place the warm washcloth over your face. Wait for 30 seconds before rinsing your face.
- Face Toner – mix one teaspoon salt with a quarter cup water. Pour into a spray bottle and give your face a mist a couple of times a day.
- Teeth Whitener – salt and baking soda together can effectively remove stains and brighten teeth. Mix two teaspoons baking powder with a half teaspoon of salt. Dip a damp toothbrush into your mixture and then brush teeth as normal.
- Nail Brightening Treatment – Salt will strengthen your nails and soften cuticles, while lemon juice removes stains. Mix one teaspoon lemon juice, one teaspoon baking soda, one teaspoon salt, and a half cup warm water in a bowl. Soak nails for 10 minutes and then scrub them with a soft brush.
- Anti-Dandruff Treatment – try this for a healthy scalp; sprinkle some sea salt directly onto your scalp and then massage your scalp gently for 10 minutes before washing your hair as normal.
- Natural Mouth Wash – Salt will kill the bacteria that causes bad breath and other oral issues. Mix a half teaspoon baking soda with a half teaspoon salt and a quarter cup warm water. Swirl around in your mouth before spitting and rinsing.
Are There Any Side Effects?
There aren’t any side effects associated with using sea salt topically on the skin.
Can you use sea salt on your face?
Yes, sea salt is safe and gentle enough to be used regularly on your face.
Why does sea salt clear skin?
Sea salt contains several important minerals that help to clear, detoxify, and rejuvenate the skin.
Sea salt offers a natural solution to so many skin concerns. From acne to dryness to sensitivities, this is an ingredient that every skin type would benefit from.