A bulb is a bulb is a bulb…right? Wrong! When it comes to tanning bulbs, these are very different from any regular light bulb. This is because it is used for tanning the skin
Tanning bulbs are used especially for sunbeds and emit UV rays to penetrate deep into the skin. The Ultraviolet rays that are emitted from these bulbs cause the body to produce more melanin in the skin.
Melanin is what the body makes to protect itself from these rays and cause the skin on the human body to darken.
In this article we will talk about the different types of tanning bulbs currently on the market, the prices you can expect to pay when purchasing them and how to replace these bulbs when their time quite literally runs out.
The Different Types Of Tanning Bulbs
In the world of tanning bulbs, there are two types that you can choose from. While regular tanning bulbs will darken the color of your skin bronzing bulbs emit waves differently and can make a big difference to the type of tan you are going to receive.
Normal Tanning Bulbs
These bulbs use 5 percent of UVB rays and 95 percent of UVA rays. These tanning bulbs will help to build a great base tan. These tanning bulbs are highly recommended for lighter-skinned tanners who are less experienced when it comes to indoor tanning.
Bronzing Tanning Bulbs
Bronzing tanning bulbs use 98 percent UVA rays and 2 percent UVB rays. These bulbs promote a quick tan and are recommended for experienced tanners. If you want to deepen a base tan, then these are the bulbs to choose from.
How To Choose The Best Tanning Bed Bulbs
Over and above choosing to purchase a regular tanning bulb or a bronzing tanning bulb there are a few other factors that you need to consider when choosing tanning bed bulbs.
When looking for tanning bulbs it is also important to take the following into account:
The Size of The Bulbs
So as you have probably guessed, tanning bulbs are sold in various sizes. Most often, though, they will be sold in a T or an F size. But what does this mean?
“T” Stands For Tube
These bulbs are tubular in shape and are very similar to a standard fluorescent light bulb when it comes to shaping.
“F” Stands for Fluorescent
F-size bulbs are fluorescent bulbs. The tanning bulbs are usually followed by a number afterward that states what wattage the bulbs are.
The Wattage of The Bulbs
The wattage of the tanning bulb will significantly affect the type of tan that you want to achieve. The stronger the wattage the darker the tan. Be careful, however, if you have naturally light skin as a bulb with a strong wattage can cause the skin to burn.
If you are aiming at getting a darker tan, then you can go as high as 160 watts. Bear in mind that anything above this can be detrimental to the health of your skin.
For the best results and the safest tanning experience, it is best to use a tanning bulb with a wattage of around 120 to 150 watts.
The Lifespan Of The Bulbs
When looking for the best home tanning bulbs you should make sure that the bulbs are guaranteed to last for at least 800 hours. This is the general standard, but you can find tanning bed bulbs that can last longer.
Always Look at Brands Versus Pricing
At the end of the day, the brand of bulb that you buy can make all the difference. Most people like to shop for cheaper brands to better suit their pockets, but it is important to bear in mind that the cheaper the bulb, the riskier the experience.
There is nothing wrong with saving a few dollars on a tanning bulb but try to stay away from very cheap brands as these can burn out or overheat.
Buying a more well-known brand will ensure that your tanning bed experience delivers a beautiful tan while at the same time ensuring the safety of the tanner.
Some of The Best But Affordable Tanning Bed Bulbs
#1 The Wolff System Wolff Dark Tan II Tanning Bed Bulbs
Visit https://www.amazon.com/Wolff-System-Dark-Tanning-Bulbs/dp/B07192XM53for pricing.
The Wolff System Tanning bed bulbs are extremely affordable and made from high-quality materials. These bulbs are compatible with multiple lamp brands and emit enhanced UVB rays to get faster results when tanning.
If you are looking to tan your face while at the same time getting a perfect tan, then these bulbs are the ones for you. These tanning bulbs are manufactured in Germany and can last at least five years or even more.
These dark tanning bulbs are made with enhanced specially designed UVB rays which are an idea for quick tanning sessions at a price that you can afford. Your tanning sessions can be even less than 20 minutes long and you will still get a dark tan.
The only con about these tanning bulbs is that they are not hot enough to achieve a very tanned skin in a short period and are unfortunately not compatible with tanning beds that have a higher wattage.
# 2 The Fabulous X Power Twister Dual Body & Face Tanning Lamp
This tanning lamp has a very long-life expectancy with a twister dual face shape that allows periodic waves of ultra-tanning technology to help you to achieve the best tan possible. This tanning lamp has a glass surface that reduces radiant heat and improves the colling of the lamp.
These lamps were designed with a higher input with an increase in UV radiation output. A longer life span ensures that you get the best value for money and the bulbs are built to last for about 1000 hours.
This lamp ensures a beautiful tan to all parts of the body as it has in-built face tanners and a dual phosphor.
# 3 The Cosmetic FST F71T12 100W Tanning Lamp – Full Spectrum
Visit: https://www.amazon.com/Cosmetta-FST-F71T12-Spectrum-Tanning/dp/B014LJ7OC2for pricing.
This tanning lamp will guarantee you an amazing tanning experience as they have 4 types of wavelengths all combine into one lamp.
The four wavelengths that this lamp emits are as follows:
- A Blue Light helps to ease the skin that is stressed.
- Keep your skin feeling hydrated and young with the Red Light in this lamp.
- UVB rays increase the production of melanin.
- UVA rays to help you achieve a deep tan.
# 4 The Brilliance Bronzer F-73
Visit: https://www.amazon.com/Brilliance-Bronzer-HO-100W-120W-RDC/dp/B00YPTEMWE for pricing.
If you want to tan faster, then you should try The Brilliance Bronzer. This is a high-powered bulb that enables tanners to get the dark tan that they desire in less time.
This is the perfect bulb to use in a tanning salon as it yields quicker results in less time for clients giving your salon the ability to increase its bookings.
The Features Of The Brilliance Bronzer F-73
- These bulbs have 120 watts which allow for clients to tan faster.
- There is no need to spend more than 15 minutes on this tanning bed as this is ample time to achieve a brilliant tan in just one session.
- The 120-watt bulb has a high output for optimum results.
- These bulbs are also available in 100 watts if 120 is too much for you.
- These bulbs are fairly priced, although they can be more costly than some of the other tanning bulbs on the market. The results, however, far outweigh the price of the bulbs.
# 5 The Velocity Plus F71 Tanning Bed Bulbs by Wolff
Visit: https://www.amazon.com/Pack-Wolff-Velocity-Tanning-Bulbs/dp/B0031OTE6I for pricing.
The Velocity Plus tanning lamp is the best way to get a deep tan. These tanning bulbs are made to last a very long time and are made from the best quality materials.
The tanning lamps are extremely economical and are by far one of the most favored lamps available on the market as they are compatible with many different brands of sunbeds. These lamps can be used to upgrade and replace the bulbs that you are currently using.
To get a dark tan all you need is less than 20 minutes to see a difference in your skin tone! The lamps have a 1000-hour life span and are used by many tanning salons. If you are looking for a shorter tanning session with optimum results, then these are the lamps to buy.
Unfortunately, these tanning bulbs only work with tanning beds that have an advanced timer.
How to Replace Tanning Bed Bulbs
Follow these steps when replacing the bulbs in your tanning bed:
- The most important thing to do when replacing the bulbs in your tanning bed is to unplug the tanning bed before you proceed.
- Tanning bulbs contain mercury as well as other harmful compounds so it is a good idea to wear gloves to protect your hands from any potential burn or damage.
- Now it is time to remove the old bulbs. This is a relatively simple process that involves gently popping them out and not applying too much pressure to the glass.
- The last step is to put the new bulb into place. Make sure that the new bulb is locked in before you move onto the next bulb,
- It is advisable to replace all the bulbs in your tanning bed at once, especially if the bulbs were all put in at the same time previously.
- The reason for this is that if the bulbs are all the same age the UV rays emitted by the bulbs will an equal amount from each tanning bulb. This will prevent you from getting an uneven or blotchy tan and land up saving you money in the long run.
When Should I Replace My Tanning Bed Bulbs?
Tanning bulbs generally last at least 1000 hours. With this being said it does not mean that the tanning bulbs will work as effectively as they do when they were first put in.
As the lifespan of the bulbs progress it will take longer to achieve the same tan as you did when they were first installed.
Most people would think that replacing a tanning bulb only at the point where it burns out is going to save them money. The fact is that in the long run, it is going to waste time as a tanning bulb that no longer works optimally will cause an uneven tan.
It is safe to assume that by the time your tanning bulbs have reached 800 hours of use it is normally time to replace them.
Keeping Your Tanning Bulbs Clean
You must keep your tanning bed bulbs clean. This will help to increase the lifespan of the bulbs and improve their overall performance.
How to clean your tanning bed bulbs:
- Remove the acrylic panels from the tanning bed. Always remember to read the instruction before attempting to remove the panels.
- Carefully remove the tanning bubs and lie them on a clean sheet.
- Be extremely careful when removing the bulbs. These bubs can be damaged very easily if not handled with care.
- Using a clean and dry cloth gentle to remove the dust from the bulb from the top to the bottom. It is important to use a different cloth for each bulb to prevent dirt from transferring from one bulb to another.
- Gently put the bulbs back into the tanning bed.
Choosing what type of tanning lamp will best suit your needs and your pocket can be quite a confusing experience. In most cases, the best thing to do is purchase a 20-minute lamp, especially if you have never bought a tanning lamp before.
The reason for this is because most sunbeds come with a 20-minute timer, so you can’t go wrong when trying to match the lamp time and the session time.