Take a look through some of the products produced by popular high-end skincare brands and you’ll quickly spot some incredible anti-aging formulas. The only downside? Their heart attack-inducing price tags that can soar up to the thousands.
Does a good wrinkle cream really need to cost so much? You’ll be happy to hear that the answer is no. There are several drugstore brands out there that produce comparable alternatives with potent, high-quality ingredients that really pack a punch.
The only issue lies in figuring out which drugstore creams actually work – while there are some fantastic formulas to choose from, there are plenty of others that are based on nothing but cheap filler ingredients and clever marketing. This is where we come in. We’ve scoured the shelves of all of your favorite beauty stores and put together a list of the 10 best wrinkle creams that can be purchased at drugstores. So, if you’d like to turn back the clock on your skin without having to spend a fortune, these are the anti-aging creams that can help.
|Editor's Choice||#2nd Best Choice||#3rd Best Choice|
LifeCell All-in-One Skin-Tightening Treatment
#2nd Best Choice
Neutrogena Rapid Wrinkle Repair
#3rd Best Choice
Body Merry Retinol Surge Moisturizer
- Top Rated Tightening Cream for Deep Wrinkle Removal: LifeCell All-in-One Skin-Tightening Treatment
- Best Drugstore Anti-Aging Skin Care Moisturizer for Providing Results Quickly: Neutrogena Rapid Wrinkle Repair
- Best Cream for Lines on Forehead: Body Merry Retinol Surge Moisturizer
- Best Age Defying Retinol Alternative Cream to Use for Mature Skin: Olay Regenerist Night Recovery Cream
- Best Wrinkle Corrector for Crow Feet, Forehead Creases & Sun Damage: RoC Retinol Correxion Deep Wrinkle Night Cream
- Number One Anti-Wrinkle and Firming Cream on the Market for Deep Hydration: Eucerin Q10 Anti-Wrinkle Cream
- Best Store Bought Sunscreen for Instant Anti-Aging Effects: No7 Lift and Luminate Day Cream SPF 15
- Best Anti-Aging Cream for 40+ for Signs of Wrinkles & Enlarged Pores: La Roche-Posay Redermic R Anti-Aging Face Cream with Retinol
- Best Anti-Wrinkle Cream for Over 50: DermaE Refining Vitamin A Cream
- Best OTC Department Store SPF Formula for Collagen Boosting Benefits: CeraVe Skin Renewing Day Cream
- Conclusion: Deciding on the Best Drugstore Wrinkle Cream for Your Skin
Top Rated Tightening Cream for Deep Wrinkle Removal: LifeCell All-in-One Skin-Tightening Treatment
Let’s start with one of our favorite products; the LifeCell All-in-One Skin-Tightening Treatment. This dermatologist-tested cream is lightweight, ultra-hydrating, and suitable for all skin types.
Even better, it offers both instant and long-term results, not only when it comes to smoothing fine lines and wrinkles, but also with how it brightens the skin tone and fades dark spots.
While you won’t actually be able to find LifeCell products in drugstores, they can easily be purchased online, which you’ll likely want to do once you learn about this cream’s impressive ingredient list.
Key Ingredients: DMAE, Vitamin C, Hyaluronic Acid & Retinol
This potent wrinkle cream is infused with a long list of powerful actives. It’s the only firming face cream on this list that contains DMAE, an ingredient proven to help with wrinkle reduction . This is backed up by retinol, a vitamin A derivative that has been shown to effectively smooth fine lines and wrinkles , thanks to how it increases collagen production in the skin.
You’ll also find vitamin C and a few light-reflecting compounds in this formula for their skin brightening properties, plus hyaluronic acid, which gives you plump and hydrated skin. We could go on and on about the other cutting-edge ingredients in this formula, from the peptides to the apple stem cells, but we’ll leave those for you to discover!
- Hypoallergenic, fragrance-free, and paraben-free
- Contains a long list of the best anti-aging ingredients in the industry
- Lightweight enough to be used as a standalone moisturizer on normal or oily skin, or can be layered under another cream on dry skin
- Needs to be used consistently twice a day for results to be seen
Best Drugstore Anti-Aging Skin Care Moisturizer for Providing Results Quickly: Neutrogena Rapid Wrinkle Repair
If you’re looking for fast results, then the Neutrogena Rapid Wrinkle Repair cream is what you need. Neutrogena’s clinical studies show that this cream is capable of giving you smoother skin in just one day.
After a week, you’ll notice a reduction in fine lines, with deeper wrinkles diminishing after about a month. What happens next? Your skin will continue to improve until you’re sporting a youthful appearance.
Key Ingredients: Hyaluronic Acid & Retinol
At first glance, the key ingredients in this cream may not seem very impressive. After all, just about every drugstore anti-aging cream contains retinol and hyaluronic acid.
However, what they lack is this exclusive accelerated formula that’s patented to Neutrogena – ie. you won’t find it anywhere else. Combined with a special glucose complex, this powerful blend offers up some serious anti-aging benefits.
- A patented formula that you won’t find anywhere else
- Clinically proven to be effective at getting rid of wrinkles quickly
- Contains a few ingredients that could irritate sensitive skin
Best Cream for Lines on Forehead: Body Merry Retinol Surge Moisturizer
Forehead wrinkles can be tricky to tackle. With the forehead often being oilier than the skin on the rest of the face, you need a formula that can reduce fine lines but won’t clog pores.
That’s where the Body Merry Retinol Surge Moisturizer Shines. Not only will this facial moisturizer boost skin elasticity and eliminate those creases on your face, but it’ll also help with dark spots and an uneven skin texture too.
Key Ingredients: Retinol, Hyaluronic Acid, Green Tea & Aloe Vera
We adore the ingredients in this wrinkle cream because rather than focusing solely on the signs of aging, it prioritizes keeping the skin cells as healthy as possible. This, in turn, leaves your skin youthful. From aloe vera and green tea to horsetail, dandelion, and gotu kola extract, these antioxidant-rich botanicals are exactly what aging skin needs.
That said, this formula does still contain a few classic anti-agers too, including retinol, a botanical form of hyaluronic acid, and vitamin E.
- Lightweight enough for acne-prone skin yet hydrating enough for dry skin
- Contains a long list of unique anti-aging ingredients
- It’s not quite as potent as some of the other wrinkle creams on this list, so, although effective, results may take longer to show
Best Age Defying Retinol Alternative Cream to Use for Mature Skin: Olay Regenerist Night Recovery Cream
As the skin ages, it thins out. This is why mature skin tends to be quite dry since it’s no longer thick enough to retain the same amount of moisture. What makes things even worse is that wrinkles become more prominent on thin skin. The Olay Regenerist Night Recovery Cream has been designed to combat all of these issues; the thinning, the dryness, and the wrinkles. This night cream will not only deeply moisturize your skin to leave it looking plump, but it’ll also thicken up your skin barrier while diminishing those wrinkles.
Key Ingredients: Amino Peptides & Niacinamide
One of the star players in this nourishing cream is niacinamide. Otherwise known as vitamin B3, niacinamide is able to eliminate wrinkles, improve how the skin barrier functions, moisturize the skin and fade dark spots . By speeding up cell turnover, it also has a mild exfoliating effect, enabling it to eliminate dead skin cells and gently smooth out the skin’s surface.
Also in this formula are amino peptides. These help the skin to produce new cells, giving you a firmer and thicker complexion over time.
- An intensely hydrating formula that’s perfect for thirsty skin
- Targets a variety of aging-related skin concerns, from wrinkles to thinning and sagging skin to a pigmented skin tone
- Although this is a fragrance-free formula, it still contains a couple of ingredients that could prove irritating to sensitive skin
Best Wrinkle Corrector for Crow Feet, Forehead Creases & Sun Damage: RoC Retinol Correxion Deep Wrinkle Night Cream
While you’re asleep at night, your skin is hard at work regenerating itself. This is the time during which it produces the most collagen and elastin, which are the proteins that give you firm and smooth skin.
The RoC Retinol Correxion Deep Wrinkle Night Cream has been designed to enhance these natural functions. The brand’s clinical studies have found that this product produces smoother-looking skin in just four weeks, with expression lines and deep wrinkles fading after about 12 weeks.
Key Ingredients: Retinol
So, what makes this retinol cream different from all of the rest? It comes down to the patented pure RoC Retinol that’s used in the formula. Shown to be more powerful than the other OTC derivatives of vitamin A, and only slightly less potent than prescription forms, this clinically-proven retinol complex delivers hefty results.
You’ll also notice that glycolic acid, one of the most popular alpha hydroxy acids out there, has been included in this formula. Its low concentration means that it won’t irritate delicate skin or count as a regular exfoliation session, yet it’ll still be able to help with lightening and brightening skin.
- Contains an exclusive retinol complex that is proven to be more powerful than the other forms of retinol available over-the-counter
- Non-greasy, so can be used on oily skin or layered under a moisturizer on dry skin
- Contains added fragrance, which isn’t good for sensitive skin
- Contains multiple parabens, a controversial preservative that has been linked to breast cancer
Number One Anti-Wrinkle and Firming Cream on the Market for Deep Hydration: Eucerin Q10 Anti-Wrinkle Cream
If you’ve ever had issues with dryness, itching, eczema, psoriasis, or sensitivities, then you’ll probably already be familiar with Eucerin. This brand is known for producing emollient-rich products that moisturize, soothe, and protect irritated skin.
The Eucerin Q10 Anti-Wrinkle Cream does exactly that too, yet it has also been formulated with a rich cocktail of ingredients to eliminate fine lines and wrinkles and give you flawless-looking skin.
Key Ingredients: Coenzyme Q10, Vitamin E & Beta-Carotene
This thick cream has been jam-packed with antioxidants, which is exactly what you want to see when looking for anti-aging creams. Coenzyme Q10, one of Eucerin’s signature ingredients, is first on the list. In addition to its antioxidant properties, this ingredient also gives energy to your skin cells, allowing them to function more efficiently . When combined with vitamin E and beta-carotene, the resulting blend is powerful enough to effectively diminish fine lines and wrinkles while evening out a discolored skin tone.
- Gentle enough to be used by people who suffer from various sensitivities – it’s fragrance-free and non-comedogenic too
- A highly moisturizing formula that effectively tackles the visible signs of aging
- Not quite as potent as some of the other creams on this list. However, this is great for sensitive skin, and it still produces anti-aging results in as little as 5 weeks
Best Store Bought Sunscreen for Instant Anti-Aging Effects: No7 Lift and Luminate Day Cream SPF 15
With UV rays responsible for around 80% of facial aging, it goes without saying that sun protection is a must if you want to keep your skin looking youthful. That’s what makes the No7 Lift and Luminate Day Cream so appealing. While you’ll still need to wear additional sunscreen with it, the fact that this wrinkle cream offers up SPF 15 gives your skin an added boost of protection.
Key Ingredients: Peptides, Pearl Powder & Vitamin C
In addition to its UV-blocking agents, this cream is infused with some unique anti-aging ingredients. It contains multiple peptides, which help to firm up wrinkles and sagging skin. However, unlike other anti-aging creams with their synthetic peptides, these have been derived from plants, such as hibiscus and rice, meaning that they bring antioxidant properties with them too.
Vitamin C also makes an appearance in this formula, an ingredient that’s vital for brightening and tightening the skin. There’s a sprinkling of pearl powder in this blend as well, which gives the complexion an instant luminosity while providing minerals to support long-term skin health.
- Keeps the skin hydrated for 24 hours
- Contains SPF to protect the skin from UV damage
- Doesn’t contain enough SPF to be used as a standalone sunscreen
Best Anti-Aging Cream for 40+ for Signs of Wrinkles & Enlarged Pores: La Roche-Posay Redermic R Anti-Aging Face Cream with Retinol
As you have seen so far, retinol is present across most of the best wrinkle creams – it’s a proven and powerful anti-ager that not many other ingredients can compete with. However, retinol often spells bad news for those with sensitive skin, triggering irritation.
This is what the La Roche Posay Redermic R Anti-Aging Face Cream with Retinol aims to address. Although it has retinol at its core, it has been crafted specifically for people with sensitivities, giving them a way to benefit from this star ingredient too.
Key Ingredients: Retinol & Sodium Hyaluronate
There’s a 0.3% concentration of retinol in this formula. This may not seem like much, but it’s joined by an added retinol booster complex that brings you additional anti-aging benefits while enhancing the efficacy of pure retinol.
This is combined with sodium hyaluronate, which will hydrate your skin cells to leave your complexion looking plump and bright.
- This is one of the only retinol creams available that has been designed for people with sensitivities
- Has a lightweight but nourishing texture
- Contains added fragrance, which could trigger an irritation
Best Anti-Wrinkle Cream for Over 50: DermaE Refining Vitamin A Cream
The DermaE Refining Vitamin A Cream targets several of the skin issues faced by aging skin. From fine lines and wrinkles to dark circles, dehydration, and dryness, this multi-tasking formula tackles it all.
Key Ingredients: Vitamin A, Bakuchiol, Vitamin E & Allantoin
We’ve mentioned retinol countless times now. However, the retinol in this product is backed up by bakuchiol, a plant-based ingredient that’s often touted as the best retinol alternative out there. It has the same effects but doesn’t cause irritation.
That said, even the pure retinol in this cream is unlikely to irritate your skin because of how it’s paired with ultra-soothing compounds. From vitamin E to allantoin, these ingredients leave the skin plump and deeply moisturized.
- Its appealing scent is created with natural fragrance oils, rather than irritating chemical fragrances
- Contains a number of powerful anti-aging vitamins and antioxidant-rich botanicals
- Although it can be safely used twice a day, its texture can be a little too thick for daytime use on oily skin
Best OTC Department Store SPF Formula for Collagen Boosting Benefits: CeraVe Skin Renewing Day Cream
Last but not least, the CeraVe Skin Renewing Day Cream. Many firmly believe that this is the very best wrinkle cream on the market because of how it effectively targets fine lines while also providing broad-spectrum SPF 30 protection.
Key Ingredients: Encapsulated Retinol & Ceramides
In addition to its UV blockers, this formula also contains encapsulated retinol. This is basically a form of slow-release retinol, making it easier for the skin to put it to good use. The three ceramides in this cream are encapsulated too, which isn’t often seen in drugstore anti-aging products.
- Contains SPF 30, meaning that it can be used as both a sunscreen and a wrinkle cream
- Non-comedogenic, so won’t clog your pores
- Provides 24-hour hydration thanks to its encapsulated ingredients
- Contains a couple of ingredients that could irritate sensitive skin
Q: What is the best drugstore cream for aging skin?
You’ll find all of the best drugstore wrinkle creams on this list – they’re perfect for aging skin!
Q: What is the best over the counter product to get rid of wrinkles?
The ten products on this place can all be purchased over the counter and help to get rid of wrinkles in a matter of weeks. Choose one that’s suitable for your skin type and you’ll see improvements in no time.
Q: Is there a wrinkle cream that really works?
Yes, all of the wrinkle creams on this list have been proven to work.
Q: Which brand anti-aging cream is best?
Our favorite anti-aging brand is LifeCell.
Q: What is the best treatment for deep facial wrinkles?
In addition to using good wrinkle cream, you should also be using an eye cream to tackle crow’s feet. Regularly exfoliating, ideally with an AHA like lactic acid and a BHA like salicylic acid, can help in a big way too.
Q: What is the best over the counter anti aging cream?
The ten creams on this list are the best over the counter anti-aging creams available!
Q: Is the Rapid Wrinkle Repair Serum good?
Yes, the Rapid Wrinkle Repair Serum is good for eliminating wrinkles and dark spots.
Q: What are the best affordable wrinkle creams that work, based on consumer reports?
Many of the creams on this list are very affordable, and consumer reports show that they all work!
Q: Will cheap drugstore serum products help with my wrinkles?
Many cheap products work well, but this all depends on the ingredients that have been used to formulate them. If they contain proven anti-aging compounds in a high enough concentration, then they’ll help your wrinkles.
RELATED: Does Moisturizing Prevent Wrinkles
Conclusion: Deciding on the Best Drugstore Wrinkle Cream for Your Skin
Each of the ten drugstore anti-aging creams on this list shines bright for its own reason. With that said, they’re all truly effective at diminishing fine lines, wrinkles, and sagging skin. Choose which formula is best for you by assessing the other benefits offered by that cream. Are your wrinkles accompanied by dark spots? Dry skin? Inflammation? Whichever it may be, there’s a cream on this list that’ll be perfect for you.